Words of Wisdom

Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.

-Muhammad Ali-

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I am writing to propose a critique of the Life Center Fee that is a requirement for the University of Hawaii at Hilo students to pay. After three semesters of studying here at UHH, I found that the Life Center Fee is a dilemma to students who are not assessing the facility but they are automatically paying the membership fee. The student’s main considerations are based on the amount of the fee and it is also a require payment for all students. The Student Life Center regulates the policy of membership and set a requirement fee in an amount of $78.
In general, the controversy aroused to the students of UHH of how they finances their education. The fee is very huge amount in this bad economic time and also the tuition is rising every single year. The most fortunate students are those who have scholarship and federal grant. Some of them are not facilitating within Student Life Center accommodations. It is not fair or just for a student to pay this amount without using it but others taking advantage of the money we paid.  
The problem most impacts on these categories of students; the non-residential students, non-financial aid students or pocket money for education, students who live far away from town, parental students, and students with double job and full-time. Today, we need a general will that will benefits the university as whole without needs of the few or individual interest.

10 comments:

  1. Hi, Edwardke,
    How are you doing?
    Welcome, to my blog!
    lilia8.blogspot.com
    Lilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wondering about that for some time now. Every semester when I looked that school fees that the school charged me, I always wondered why I was being charged with student life center fees when I have never set a foot in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I just checked the life center fee and it costs $78! I don't know that what life center fee is but I'll pay it. I hope the fee will be cheaper sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great topic. As a student that doesn't use the student life center, i agree with your proposal. I mean why should students pay the fee if most of us don't even use the center? For who students who don't use the center, we could instead use the fee for paying our textbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with this totally. I have only used the student life center all of 3 times since it opened and frankly I dont understand why I have to pay the 75 dollars for something I havent used. I can see that they wanna pay for the upkeep; however, why should those that dont utilize it have to pay for it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. good topic! I've had a lot of friends complain about this to. It is interesting how we do have a specific student life center fee. I wonder if they need to have a mandated tuition fee to pay off expenses? Perhaps you could look more into where all the money is actually going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same thing I always ask myself...I pay never to step foot in the gym

    ReplyDelete
  8. as a person who is not really using the student life center, I totally agree with you that we are paying too much on the student life center. I hope your proposal will bring a big change!

    ReplyDelete
  9. as a student who is not using the student life center, I totally agree with your proposal. the student life center fee is too expensive and I am using it at all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you, Wow i never thought to really make use of the gym knowing that most of the money comes from my pocket, but its not like i always use it. Good point though, is it really that necessary to pay soo much for something dont event use?

    ReplyDelete